Sunday, September 9, 2012

(Pre)School Days!

It is a little hard for me to believe, but my oldest is 4 1/2 and is headed off to junior kindergarten this year.  This is his first year in school, as we chose not to do preschool last year, believing it would benefit him more to have more time at home.  In our province, he actually could be starting kindergarten this fall, even though he is barely 4 1/2, but to be honest, I thought that was a bit ridiculous.  He is still so young and active and busy and not at all ready to be stuck behind a desk.  And he has so long to be in school, why rush it?  So, to preschool, or, as they call it, junior kindergarten, he goes.  We found what I hope will be a great preschool just up the hill, a 5 minute drive from our house. Since I am running a day home and have to transport all the kids with me, it was important that it be close to us.




Wednesday was our preschool orientation.  We met the teachers and other kids and got to experience the classroom.  There were a few anxious moments for me when the teacher couldn't find Cole's name on the list or any of his paperwork!  But, after filling it all out again, I got a call that night that everything is sorted out and he is good to start on Monday. Still not sure what happened, since he was on some of their classroom lists, but at least it all worked out!  Cole was oblivious to all this and was very excited to explore his new classroom.  He was particularly pleased with the Cars stickers on the wall!  He told me several times that his preschool was the most fun place ever and the best place ever and asked me how long it was until Monday.  It's fun to see his excitement!  Let's just hope it lasts when he realizes he has to follow directions and do a little work in addition to all the fun things to play with!


I expect that I will probably cry on Monday when I take him to school.  Watching your babies grow up is rather bittersweet.  But his excitement will make it a lot easier.  He is at a stage where he separates quite easily, as long as the environment he is going into appeals to him, so I think he will do just fine!

No comments: