Yesterday we moved out of the house where we have lived for the past three years. It's a good move. We're moving to the north end of the city where all our friends and family live. We've felt a little isolated the past 3 years, living at the opposite end of the city, a 45 minute drive away, in good traffic, from family and friends. It makes it hard to get together with people when we all have young children and bedtimes and naptimes to worry about, adding a 45 minute drive in there! It's kept us from being in a small group and from many church activities too. We are now just a 5-15 minute drive from pretty much all our friends and family and all our activities, except Jeff's work. We like our new house. It has beautiful hardwood floors and granite countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms. And the backyard is HUGE and beautiful! Exactly what we wanted for our boys! Plus, we have 2 great playgrounds in walking distance and we're just a few minutes from Bowness Park.
But, there was some sadness too. Jeff and I built this house together before we were married. A lot of time and stress went into that house! Everything in it was chosen by us. We custom-designed our kitchen, and man, I loved my kitchen!! (Even though being pregnant and having young children the whole time we lived there, I didn't spend as much time in it as you might have thought!) The day after we moved into the house, we found out I was pregnant with Cole. Our little miracle baby. I thought it would be years before that happened, if it ever did at all. We brought two babies home to that house. I spent many, many nights sitting in our green Safari nursery, nursing babies who didn't want to sleep through the night. (The youngest one still doesn't!) Last summer, we got to know our neighbors well, building a fence together and barbequing. We were blessed with wonderful neighbors and we will really miss them. In three relatively short years, we formed a lot of memories in that house.
I got to thinking about it too, and realized, 3 years is one of the longer periods I have spent living in the same house! Like most MKs, I've moved around a lot. I've said goodbye to more people than a lot of people have even met in 33 years. You`d think it`d get easier, but it never does! I guess deep down inside, there`s a longing to just be settled. To not have to say goodbye anymore. Of course, I know that`s not real life. Life is made up of hellos and goodbyes. Of new experiences, and changes. But hopefully this move will mean the end of goodbyes for a while. We plan to stay in this house for a long time. We want our boys to be able to stay in the same school once they start, and to grow up together with the friends they are starting to make even now. It`s hard to leave the house where we started out our lives together, but hey, we`re only 3 years in! Our life as a family is just beginning and there will be many, many wonderful memories to be made in this new house. I can`t wait to experience them!
2 comments:
It sounds bittersweet at the moment for you, but how awesome to be near so many family members and friends! Not to mention getting to be more involved in church activities too! I think I would have a tough time leaving a house I had built as well. God bless!
♥
Heather
Congratulations! You did a great job of describing that bittersweet reality in leaving your first home together. I've lived in mine for seven years and haven't "loved" it any of this time, but I could really identify with how you felt leaving the house you brought your babies home to, as my favorite rooms in this house are theirs. :)
Take your time and don't stress about unpacking. Enjoy, and may you have many many new and wonderful memories in your new abode!
Post a Comment